The minute we got our first package of Beef Bacon Cubes, I immediately thought of making split pea soup. Traditionally this soup is made with a ham-hock, and it does fine with no meat at all, but even a tiny amount of the smoky umami flavor from the beef bacon takes the humble pea soup to a whole new level.
You can make this on the stove top, too, but it really takes several hours for the peas to become fully soft. I recommend the crock pot so you can set it and forget about it!
1. Heat olive oil in a wide skillet and add beef bacon cubes. Brown on all sides. Transfer to crock pot.
2. In the same skillet, saute onions 5 minutes, then add carrots for another 5 minutes, until soft.
3. Add peas, onions, carrots, broth to the crock pot.
4. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours.
5. If you like, use an immersion blender to produce a creamier consistency. Serve with salt, pepper and fresh country bread.