1 4-5lb French Roast
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, mashed
1 stalk celery
8-oz mushrooms (baby bella, shitake, white or a mix)
1 large tomato, diced
1 red or yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dry or semi dry red wine
2 tablespoons Braggs or low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons dry roasted garlic
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Bring meat to room temperature.
2. In a heavy oven-proof pot or Dutch oven, sauté onion in olive oil until translucent and beginning to caramelize. Add the rest of the vegetables and continue to sauté until soft.
3. Push vegetables to the side of the pan (or remove, if you’re using a small pan). Raise heat to medium-high and add a little more olive oil if the pan is dry. Add the roast, and sear on all sides until browned, about 6 minutes per side.
4. Return vegetables to the pot if you took them out to brown the meat. Add wine, Braggs, and spices (feel free to add your favorite spices cumin, oregano, sage, rosemary, etc.)
5. Cover and roast at 325F for about 1.5 2 hours until internal temperature is about 10 degrees below where you like it (it will continue to rise after you take it out of the oven). We recommend you cook your French Roast medium rare or rare for maximum flavor and tenderness. Let roast stand 15-20 minutes before slicing.
6. To serve, slice thinly and serve with vegetables and pan juices.
© Rachel Rosen 2012