1 5-6lb Brisket (use First Cut, Second Cut or Whole Brisket)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses or brown sugar
1 cup red wine
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Bring meat to room temperature. Pat dry, season with ground pepper. Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof pot or Dutch oven and sear meat on all sides. Remove meat from the pot and set aside.
3. Add more oil if necessary and sauté onions until translucent. Add 1/2 cup wine, and scrape up browned bits on the bottom of the pot.
4. In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup wine, ketchup and molasses or brown sugar. Add ketchup mixture to pot along with brisket.
5. Cover pot with lid or use heavy-duty aluminum foil to cover tightly. Roast for 2 hours. Remove pot from the oven, flip brisket, and baste with cooking liquid. Cover the pot and return to the oven to roast for 1 hour more.
6. Remove from the oven. Let cool, then refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
7. To serve, slice brisket and arrange in serving dish with 1-2″ sides. Cover with remaining gravy. Reheat at 300F for 30 minutes before serving.
© Rachel Rosen 2012