12 oz. lager or ale beer (not dark)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons grated onion
black pepper to taste
1 yellow or red onion, sliced into 1/2″ thick slices
6 boneless chuck steaks (~1/4lb each)
- Secure onion horizontally with wooden picks.
- Trim steak and pierce all over on both sides with a fork.
- In a large shallow dish, whisk together the beer, oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and grated onion. Add chuck steaks and onion slices, coating them thoroughly with the marinade. Let the mixture marinate, covered and chilled, turning the steak once, overnight.
- Let the marinated steaks stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Discard the marinade. Grill the steaks with the onions on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals for ~4 minutes on each side for medium-rare steak.
- Transfer the steak to a carving board and the onions to a platter, discarding the wooden picks. Let the steak stand for 5 minutes and, holding a carving knife at a 45 degree angle, cut the steak across the grain into thin slices. Transfer the steak to a platter. Serves 6.