Adapted from Bon Appetit’s Glazed Baby Back Ribs, January 2012
- 3 1/2 pounds Grow and Behold Ribs (Short Ribs, Back Ribs, or Plate Flanken)
- 1 cup soy sauce, divided
- 9 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 5 teaspoons cumin seeds, divided
- 3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, divided
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 scallions (white and light-green parts separated from dark-green parts), finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice plus zest from 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Zest from 1 lemon and 1 lime
Optional: Cut between the bones to separate into individual pieces (this will make it easier to serve later, although slightly less impressive-looking).
Place ribs, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tsp. cumin seeds, and 1 tsp. red pepper flakes in a large pot; add water to cover completely. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cover with lid ajar; cook until ribs are tender, about 2-3 hours. Drain ribs; set aside for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; add remaining 3 tsp. cumin seeds and 2 tsp. red pepper flakes. Toast lightly until fragrant, about 30 seconds; add remaining 6 minced garlic cloves and white and pale-green scallions. Sauté until just soft, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup soy sauce, orange juice, and honey. Bring to a boil and cook until sauce is thick, 12–15 minutes.
Preheat broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place ribs on prepared sheet; brush with sauce. Broil until sauce bubbles, 2–3 minutes. Turn, brush with additional sauce, and broil until ribs are heated through and sauce is bubbling, 2–3 minutes longer. Transfer to a platter. Drizzle with remaining sauce. Sprinkle dark-green scallions and citrus zest over.