Thanks to Linda Sklar for submitting this recipe.
- 1 cup Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout beer
- 1/4 cup dry chickpeas soaked in water overnight, drained
- 1/8 cup dry red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1lb Skirt Steak, cut in half
- 4 small yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground peppercorns preferred
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 4 oz ketchup
- 2-3 cups Beef Stock (or use water remaining after boiling flanken, tongue or brisket)
- Soak chickpeas in water to cover for 8 hours or more.
- Pour Chocolate Stout into bottom of Crockpot.
- Add drained chickpeas.
- Pour in kidney beans and barley.
- Add 1 piece of skirt steak.
- Add half the quartered potatoes.
- Pour in spices.
- Add other half of skirt steak.
- Put in remaining potatoes.
- Mix ketchup well with beef stock so well blended and enough to cover top of potatoes.
- Put crockpot on high for 30 minutes, then cook on Low for 8 hours.
Perfect served with a side of quinoa tossed with crisply sautéed carrots, celery and red pepper. ENJOY!
Serves 4 if with quinoa; serves 3 if main meal. For more portions, increase all ingredients proportionately but make sure to layer meat and potatoes.