Recipe submitted by Richard Mines.
- 2.5 to 3 lbs Grow & Behold Pastured Beef Cheeks
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup shiraz
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
- 6 shitake mushrooms
- 12 white mushrooms
- 6 cremini mushrooms
- Toss cheeks in flour. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Brown the meat. Remove to a plate.
- Add more oil if necessary and add the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook until golden.
- Place half of the onion mixture on the bottom of your slow cooker. Place beef cheeks on top and then the remaining onion mixture.
- Deglaze your pan with the Shiraz, then add the stock, sugar, tomato paste, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then add to the slow cooker.
- Add the margarine or olive oil to the pan, and sauté the mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add to the slow cooker, stirring in.
- Set cooker to HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8.
- If sauce needs thickening, remove lid for last hour of cooking time.