Adapted for kosher cooking from Real Simple. Recipe by Chris Morocco. Published in March, 2014.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 12 ounces kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 2 cups French or green lentils
- black pepper
- fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the kielbasa sausage, lentils, 8 cups water, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm sprinkled with the parsley.