Adapted for kosher cooking from Emeril Lagasse on the Food Network.
- 1 turkey carcass or 4-6lbs turkey bones
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 gallon of water to cover
- Using a sharp knife, cut the carcass into smaller pieces (or use turkey bones).
- In a large pot, add the carcass or bones, vegetables, bay leaves, thyme, and peppercorns. Cover with water.
- Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 2 hours.
- Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Remove from the heat and strain.