Some of you may have had the pleasure of talking to our fabulous customer service representative, Karen. This is her favorite recipe for brisket strip or deckel.
Serves one person per half pound of meat used.
- 3-4lb Brisket Strip or Deckel (or other meat for braising)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups root vegetables of your choosing
- Season the deckel with salt and pepper and then sear on the stove top, in olive oil 3-5 minutes each side
- While the meat is searing, mix together the wine, broth, and tomatoes.
- Line the bottom of the dish (Karen uses an enamel-coated cast iron Dutch oven but you could also use a frying pan or a covered baking dish) with root vegetables and pour in about half the liquid mixture. Place the roast on top of the liquid and veggies. Pour remaining liquid mixture on top.
- Cover and bake at 300F until tender. Check every so often to make sure there is still liquid in the pot — you don’t want it to dry out. Generally we allow about 4-6 hours for Deckel — if you check it at 4 hours and it’s still tough, keep cooking!
Let it sit for a few minutes before cutting it into strips before putting it back into the pan for serving – keep that yummy sauce/dripping combination with the meat!