Adapted from Family Heirloom Chulent from Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller.
Serves four or more.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 medium onions, peeled, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 (2-pound) piece of flanken, cut into 4 to 6 pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1 cup dried light red kidney beans
- 3 tablespoons chicken consommé mix and three cups of water, or 3 cups of chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 kishka
- Line bottom of slow cooker with potatoes and onions.
- Rinse flanken and pat dry. Place pieces around sides of crock pot, with bones on the outside.
- Generously pepper meat.
- Add barley and beans. Shake the pot a bit so some of the barley and beans fall into the spaces between the potatoes and onions.
- Season with consommé mix (if using), paprika, and honey, and add water or broth (if using) to the pot.
- Place kishka on top.
- Pour in water, adding more if necessary, to completely cover all ingredients.
- Cook on low heat overnight, at least 8 hours.