Adapted for parve cooking from a Gourmet, found on epicurious.com.
- 4 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- ½ cup of canola oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus additional for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375°F and oil an 8-inch round baking pan.
- Chop chocolate into small pieces. In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with oil, stirring, until smooth.
- Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs and whisk well. (Make sure the mixture cools for a few minutes before you add the eggs or you will end up with chocolate-flavored scrambled eggs)
- Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 15-20 minutes. The middle should still be gooey but the top should have a crust.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and invert onto a serving plate.