Adapted for premade broth and kosher cooking from My Persian Kitchen.
- 5 cups lamb broth
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 shallot
- 2 tbsp chopped tarreh (chives)
- 1 chopped green onion, white part only
- 2-4 tbsp chopped Persian basil
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Persian lime
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamom
- 6 oz reshteh (can substitute thin Italian noodles)
- Defrost broth (avoid spills by defrosting in a bowl or pot) and transfer liquid broth to a large pot.
- Wrap shallot and ginger in foil and roast at 400° for 20 minutes. Once done chop both and place in the broth.
- Make a couple of holes in the persian lime and add to the pot. Lightly crush the cardamom and add along with the Star Anise to the pot. Add one cup of water and bring stock to a boil.
- Add a pinch of pepper to the broth and drop the noodles in. Make sure that the noodles are submerged in the broth. Cover and cook on medium for half hour, or less if using Italian pasta.
- Once the noodles are cooked, divide noodles and broth into two bowls (discard the Persian lime, star anise and cardamom unless requested). Top with fresh herbs and serve with lime or lemon wedges, and Persian lime, star anise and cardamom if desired.