Thanks to Yitzchak Bernstein from Epic Bites Catering for this incredibly simple and delicious way to prepare a whole duck!
- Defrost bird in fridge. Take out of the fridge 30 minutes before you plan to roast, to allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Prick skin all over with a pushpin or thumbtack. (This will allow the extra fat to render out as the duck cooks).
- Rub with dried lavender, cumin and black pepper.
- Bake in a deep dish or Dutch Oven, uncovered, for 3-4 hours. Every hour, remove the pot from the oven, carefully drain off the fat*, and flip the bird. You’ll get about 1/3-1/2cup fat each hour. Once you notice that most of the fat is done rendering, proceed to next step.
- When fat has mostly rendered out (3-4hrs), rub duck all over with honey and turn up heat to 450F. Roast for 20 minutes until crispy.
- Serve hot or cold.
*Save the fat! Duck fat is delicious and versatile. Carefully drain hot fat into a wide bowl covered with a cheese cloth to collect solids. Store fat in the fridge until ready to use. We got about a 1.5cups fat from a 3.5lb bird, but this will vary from bird to bird.