Recipe by Naf Hanau
- 4 Grow and Behold Lamb Shanks
- 1 cup minced carrot
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- Olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 quart Grow and Behold Beef Bone Broth
- Preheat oven to 250F
- Pat shanks dry, sprinkle with paprika, set aside. Chop 1 clove garlic together with leaves from 1 sprig thyme, and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven, sautee onion, carrot and celery in olive oil until they begin to soften (this is called a “mirepoix,” a very common base for soups and stews). Add garlic/thyme muddle, stir, and sautee just until the garlic and herbs become fragrant. Remove mirepoix from pan, reserve, and return pan to heat.
- Add olive oil, and brown shanks on all sides in pan. After shanks have browned, remove from pan, and deglaze with 1 cup beef broth. Return all ingredients to pan, and add remaining beef broth. Cover and braise in the oven until meat is fork tender, about 2-3 hours. When shanks are done, remove from pan, and strain liquid through cheesecloth into a small dish. Serve with warm jus over quinoa.