- 2 pounds Grow and Behold Lamb Shanks
- 2 pounds Grow and Behold Lamb Shoulder Chops
- 2 pounds Grow and Behold Beef Marrow Bones
- 7 T vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 3 cups Grow and Behold chicken or beef bone broth
- 14oz can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 can pitted and peeled apricots, in sauce
- 2 bags chestnuts
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 bay leaves
- Couscous, spaetzle, rice, gnocchi or noodles for serving
- Generously salt and pepper the meat on both sides.
- In a large Dutch oven add oil, add the meat when the oil is hot Brown meat on both sides for about 90
seconds each side (till lightly browned). Remove the meat and bones and set aside.
- Add the onion and shallots and stir till almost translucent and add the garlic and cayenne and stir well for three minutes on medium low heat. Place the meat and bones on top of onions.
- Add red wine, stock, tomatoes, apricots+juice, bay leaves and chestnuts cover on medium low ( nice simmer ) for about 2.5 hours or a little longer till the meat is falling off the bone. Every hour or so remove the excess oil from the top and discard, and stir gently.
- Ten minutes before it’s ready, toast the slivered almonds and remove the bay leaves.
Serve over couscous, garnish with parsley and toasted almonds!