Recipe adapted from AverageBetty.com
- 8-10lb Pastured Turkey
Ingredients for Cajun Spice Rub:
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Ingredients for Turkey Cavity Filling:
- 1 crisp apple
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 green onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice Rub
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Ingredients for Turkey Base:
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 rib celery
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons shmaltz (chicken or duck), or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
This recipe is for an 8-10 pound turkey. Cajun Spice Rub makes about 3 TBSP. For a larger bird, double or triple the Cajun Spice Rub. Consider serving with Sweet and Spicy Cornbread Dressing.
Prepare the turkey
- Rinse turkey with cold water and completely pat dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Roughly chop carrot, onion and celery for turkey base, and place in bottom of roasting pan.
- Place turkey on top of vegetables, breast side up.
Prepare the cavity filling
- Cut apple into large pieces, seed and cut jalapeno into strips, dice green onion and halve garlic cloves.
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add all ingredients.
- Toss to coat and saute just until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes.
- With tongs, remove ingredients from pan and insert most of the mixture into body cavity and a small amount into neck cavity.
- Tuck wings under turkey to secure neck flap.
- Tie legs together with butcher string.
Season the turkey
- Combine all ingredients for Cajun Spice Rub in a clean, dry bowl and set aside.
- Melt shmaltz and brush all exposed area of the turkey.
- Generously coat turkey with spice rub mixture.
Roast the turkey
- Place seasoned, filled turkey into a preheated 325(F) oven for 1.5 hours or about 12-14 minutes per pound.
- Cook until internal temperature is 165F.
- Allow bird to rest 20 minutes or more before carving.
- A spicy gravy can be made with roasting pan juices.