Recipe adapted from Edith Stevenson
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Dry the turkey with paper towels. Shmear all over with chicken or duck shmaltz, then dust with paprika.
- Place chopped onions in the bottom of the pan. If you like, put aromatics such as apples, fresh herbs or lemon halves inside the cavity.
- Place breast-side up in a roasting pan and brush with shmaltz.
- Tent with foil and roast for for 45-60 minutes (in general, allow 12-14 minutes/pound. You may cook it all at 325F, or choose to raise the heat at the end to get a crisp skin, but be careful of overcooking the bird!)
- To sear: Remove the foil, baste with more shmaltz and crank the oven to 425 degrees F. Roast for another 15-20 minutes or until the meat at the thigh registers 165 degrees F.
- Let rest while you make the gravy.