- 6 oz Grow and Behold Pastrami, shredded
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 4 small potatoes, grated and drained (reserve starch)
- ¼ cup grated turnip (optional)
- 2 onions, grated
- 2 teaspoons flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- salt & pepper
- ½ cup or more Duck Shmaltz or vegetable oil
- Grate potatoes and set in a mesh strainer over a large bowl. Allow to drain, pressing occasionally, 30-60 minutes. The starch will sink to the bottom of the liquid in the bowl. Drain off the liquid, and reserve the starch to mix back in with the batter.
- Combine pastrami, eggs, yolk, potatoes & starch, turnips (if using), onions, flour, baking powder, parsley and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Heat ¼ cup duck shmaltz in a large frying pan. Fry until golden, flip carefully, then transfer to paper towel-lined plates to drain. Can be kept warm for up to 30 minutes in a 200F oven. Add more fat, adjusting heat as pan warms up, to fry remaining latkes.
- Serve with applesauce and deli mustard.