Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from Saveur
- 6 pieces Grow and Behold Rose Veal Osso Bucco
- 1 cup Grow and Behold beef bone broth
- 1 cup of flour or matzah meal
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 2 medium carrots, minced
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- zest of 3 lemons
- 1 bottle dry white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees
- Season osso bucco with some pepper and dredge in flour or matzah meal. Shake off any excess and transfer to a plate
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large Dutch Oven, at a medium heat, and in batches, heat the osso bucco until browned on both sides.
- Transfer the osso bucco to a plate and add the rest of the oil to the pot. Add the minced veggies (save a bit of the garlic) and cook until soft, scraping up the browned bits at the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Tie a few sprigs of parsley and thyme together with kitchen twine and add to the pot, along with the osso bucco, stock, wine, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, add a little pepper to taste and cover the pot.
- Move the pot into the oven, and cook for ~3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone
- Transfer the shanks to a plate and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Remove the herb bundle and heat up the pot until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the shanks back into the pot, and cover with liquid. Chop the remaining parsley and mix with lemon zest and the remaining garlic, and sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the osso bucco (save the rest for mashed potatoes, etc).