Recipe by Naomi Heisler
- 1 quart Grow and Behold Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup water
- 1lb Grow and Behold Sweet Italian Sausage, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups of kale, shredded or torn (optional)
- 2 tsp of fresh thyme, minced
- 1/4 cup barley
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, brown the sausage over medium heat, then reserve in a separate bowl
- Sautee the onions, carrots, garlic and thyme in the sausage fat, until soft. If there isn’t enough fat in the pan, go ahead and add a little oil.
- Add the broth, water and spices to the pot, and bring to a boil. Once the soup begins to boil, add the lentils and barley, cover and let simmer for around one hour.
- If you are adding kale to the soup, add it around 50 minutes in, and let it cook for the last ten minutes.
- Season to taste and enjoy! The soup makes great leftovers, but the barley tends to absorb most of the liquid once left in the fridge, so it may end up with a stew-like consistency.