Recipe adapted from Jerusalem-Yotam Ottolenghi
The spice list in here might seem a little intimidating, but most of these are probably hiding in your spice rack already! If not, most can be found at your local market or Middle Eastern specialty store.
- 1 Grow and Behold Lamb Shoulder-Bone in
- 1.5 cups Grow and Behold Chicken Bone Broth
- 1tsp paprika
- 1/8tsp cardamom
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp sumac
- 1tsp cumin
- 1/4tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1tsp salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- pinch of allspice
- 2tsp canola oil
- 3 onions, sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole
- 4TBSP freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped mint
- Blend the spices and oil together, to form a spice paste. Score the fat on the lamb and rub the spices over the lamb. Let marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Place lamb fat-side up, over a bed of sliced onions and garlic, and cover tightly.
- After 30 minutes, add the stock and 3TBSP lemon juice to the bottom of the pan, cover again and return to the oven.
- Braise the meat for around 5 hours, or until tender, basting the lamb every hour or so
- Garnish with chopped mint, cilantro, and the remaining lemon juice. Slice and serve immediately over rice or in a pita with hummus and veggies