Adapted from ‘Fern Verrow: Recipe from the Farm Kitchen’ by Harry Astley and Jane Scotter
Dairy and Gluten-Free!
- 4 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ pound carrots, finely grated
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8″ cake pan with parchment paper. Use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks, sugar, orange zest and vanilla until very pale, thick and creamy, 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add grated carrots to yolk mixture, then add flour mixture and stir until fully combined.
- In a clean mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until stiff. Fold whites into yolk-flour mixture until no streaks of white remain. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake is well risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan. Turn out onto a platter. Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar.