- 4 Grow and Behold Rib Eye Steaks (about 10-12 oz each)
- 4 Idaho potatoes cubed to about 1/4 inch squares
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups of oil
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon
- 3 tbsp tarragon vinegar (but add slowly to taste)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tsp fresh minced garlic
1. Preheat the grill. Allow the temperature to reach 600F with the cover closed. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Put the steak over the fire and allow to sear for about one minute facing 10 o clock. Rotate the steak to the 2 o clock position and allow to sear as well. This will make nice grill marks! Turn the steaks over and finish cooking about 2-3 minutes for medium rare.
If you do not have a grill, you can use a cast iron skillet. For anything under medium, you will cook the steak on the pan and not in the oven. Season the steak with salt and pepper- add some oil to the pan and sear one side allowing a golden crust to form. Flip the steak over, lower the heat and finish cooking.
2. Wash and peel the potatoes. If you are working quickly, you don’t need water for the potatoes; otherwise have a bowl with water to put the peeled potatoes and the diced potatoes in while you are working on the other potatoes so they won’t turn brown.
3. Cube the potatoes. Toss with salt and pepper, and roast in the oven at 425F for about 20-25 minutes or sauté in a pan. If you are roasting them, when they come out toss them in a bowl with some oil, the parsley and the garlic. If you are sautéing them, right when they are finished toss in the parsley and garlic and sauté for another minute.
4. Make the mayo. In a large bowl, add the yolks and the fresh tarragon. Whisk it well together. Slowly drizzle the oil in a bit at a time all the while whisking vigorously to incorporate the oil into the eggs. That is the key to mayonnaise; slowly incorporating the oil into the eggs without having a buildup of oil- that will cause the mayo to break. Once all the oil is incorporated add the vinegar to taste and then the salt.
5. Toss the warm potatoes with the mayo. Lay the steak on top and serve.