Serves 6. Recipe adapted from Olives, Lemons, and Zaatar by Rawia Bishara
- 6 Grow and Behold Lamb Shanks
- 2 cups Grow and Behold Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons allspice
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup of oil or schmaltz
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chopped basil
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 14oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 waxy potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots,sliced
- 2 chili peppers, seeded and minced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, combine spices. Rub half of the mixture on the lamb shanks, reserving the other half. Heat a large skillet with the oil or schmaltz, and brown the shanks, around 3 minutes/side (working in batches if necessary). Remove the shanks and add them to a plate.
- Toss the onions in the pan, and saute until transluscent. Add the rest of the allspice mixture and garlic, and cook until fragrant. Stir in 3/4 of the fresh herbs, and cook until they begin to color. Then, add the tomatoes, and cook until soft. Turn the pan off of the heat, and stir in the lemon juice
- In a large roasting pan, add the potatoes, peppers, and carrots, plus one cup of chicken stock. Place the lamb shanks on top of the vegetables, then place a scoop of the lemon-herb mixture on top of each shank. Cover tightly with tinfoil and place in the oven.
- Let the shanks cook for around 3-4 hours, or until tender. Check once an hour, and add more chicken stock if necessary.
- Serve one shank per plate, and garnish with the remaining fresh herbs.