Recipe adapted for kosher pastured poultry from Bon Appétit. Serves Four
- 8 Grow and Behold Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk all ingredients but the chicken in a small bowl, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper
- Pour the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and turn several times to coat the chicken. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature, or up to two days in the fridge, turning occasionally.
- Set up a grill with a hot side and cool side. Remove the chicken from the bag (discard the rest of the marinade) and place on the hot side until sear develops (turn after 3-4 minutes until fully seared).
- Transfer to cooler side of grill and continue to cook, 30-45 minutes, until meat is fully cooked and tender. It should feel like the bone has separated from the meat, and can wiggle freely. Meat will be “done” sooner, but tough — continue to cook over low heat to allow meat to become very tender.
- Remove from grill and serve.
To cook indoors:
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Arrange drumsticks in a shallow baking dish in a single layer. Roast until tender, 40-50 minutes.
- Finish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp skin, if desired.