Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from Food and Wine
- 1.5lbs Grow and Behold Ground Lamb
- 3 tablespoons almonds, blanched and chopped
- 3 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons oil or schmaltz
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can of crushed tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine the lamb, almonds, bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons of the mint, the garlic, and 1 teaspoon of the cumin. Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil or schmaltz over a medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning, until browned on all over, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large deep frying pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, along with the remaining 1 teaspoon cumin. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, for around 10 minutes. Season to taste
- Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce and simmer, covered, until the meatballs are cooked through, about 10 minutes longer. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons mint and serve over couscous or rice.