Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from Saveur. Serves 8.
- Eight slices of Grow and Behold Thick-Cut Beef Bacon
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp. thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 lb. (about 6) medium sweet baking apples, cored and cut into wedges
- Heat the beef bacon in a skillet, until caramelized on both sides. Set aside
- Heat the oven to 400°. While the oven heats up drain off all but 1⁄4 cup of the rendered beef bacon fat and add the onions to the skillet, cooking over a medium heat and stirring occasionally, until caramelized and soft. Stir in the thyme, then remove the skillet from the heat, and scrape the onions into a small roasting pan.
- Add the wedges of apple to the onions, and toss to coat evenly in the fat, before placing in the oven. Bake, stirring once halfway through, until the apples are just tender and lightly caramelized, about 20 minutes. Using tongs, push the apples and onions to one side of the baking dish and nestle the bacon slices next to them. Continue baking until the apples are very tender and the bacon is warmed through, about 10 more minutes. Transfer the dish to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.