Recipe adapted for kosher, pastured cooking from NYT Food. Serves 4
- 4 Grow and Behold Turkey Drumsticks (around 1lb each)
- ¾ cup tamari or soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup dry sherry
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 8 star anise, whole
- 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 5 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water with the soy sauce, honey, sherry, scallions, ginger, star anise and garlic. Simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes, then whisk in the oil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and reserve 1/4 cup of the marinade.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pat the drumsticks dry and place on prepared pan. Brush turkey all over with half the remaining marinade (leave as much of the solids in the saucepan as possible). Scatter the pieces of star anise over the drumsticks. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 325F. Roast the drumsticks, turning and basting with more of the marinade occasionally, until the drumsticks reach 165 degrees, around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Drizzle with reserved marinade before serving.