Yes, a small (2-4lbs) Heritage chicken can be grilled–just roast or pressure-cook the bird beforehand, then finish on the grill with your favorite spices or BBQ rub.
- Brine whole chicken overnight in a simple brine of ⅛ cup salt ⅛ cup sugar per gallon
- Butterfly or split in half
- Cover with herbs and spices or bbq rub
- Roast in a covered pan at 275-325F until meat is tender, about 30 minutes per pound.
- Remove from pan and finish on grill basting with olive oil or shmaltz and/or bbq sauce.
- Butterfly a whole chicken or split in half
- Pressure cook 1 inch of water with chicken sitting above water on canning plate at 15lbs for 3+ minutes
- 3lbs or less – 3 minutes
- 3.5lbs – 4 minutes
- 4lbs – 5 minutes
- +½ lbs = +1 minute
- Remove from pan and pat chicken dry and let it cool down for a few minutes
- Finish on grill basting with olive oil and BBQ sauce.