Recipe adapted for kosher, pastured cooking from BBC Good Food. Serves 4
- 3lb Grow and Behold Whole Chicken
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or schmaltz
- 4 red onions, peeled but left whole
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. While the oven heats, loosen the skin around the chicken and slip a spring of rosemary down the side of each chicken breast. Place the rest of the rosemary inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub the chicken and onions with the oil or schmaltz, and Place the chicken in a roasting pan, and place the onions along the sides of the pan. Roast for ~75-80 minutes.
- As the chicken cooks, stir the vinegar and the honey together until the honey has dissolved. After the chicken has cooked for its first 40 minutes, take it out of the oven and drizzle the mixture over the chicken and onions, and return to the oven. Continue to roast for another hour. When the chicken is ready, take it out of the oven and place it on a plate to rest. Return the onions to the pan and let them roast for another 20 minutes.
- Carve the chicken to serve, then serve with one onion/person, along with the pan juices.