Recipe by Levana Kirschenbaum.
- 3.5-4lbs Grow and Behold Beef Tongue
- 2 bunches Swiss chard, leaves and ribs, sliced thin
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 good pinches saffron
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1/2 cup raisins, dark or golden
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- Put the beef tongue in a wide heavy pot, add enough water to cover it, and cook, covered, on a medium flame for 2 hours.
- When the beef tongue is cool enough to handle, peel it, and cut it in 1-inch dice. Return it to the pot with the Swiss chard, tomatoes, garlic, saffron, bay leaves and turmeric, and 2 cups water. Bring to boil, then reduce the flame and cook, covered, for 45 minutes. Add the raisins, sugar and vinegar and cook for 20 more minutes.
- Transfer all the meat and vegetables to a platter with a slotted spoon, and check the liquid in the pot. If it is too thin, reduce it on a high flame, just 2-3 minutes, until it is thickened to the consistency of maple syrup. Pour the liquid over all. Serve hot.