Recipe adapted for kosher, pastured cooking from Food52
- 6 Grow and Behold Chicken Thigh Filets (~3lbs)
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 packed cup of grated (raw) or pureed (cooked) butternut squash
- 2.5 cups of water
- 10-12 dried golden plums
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350, and place the walnuts on a baking sheet. Roast for 5-10 minutes (or until they start to change color). Let cool.
- In a food processor, finely grind the walnuts to a coarse meal
- Place the walnuts, squash, dried plums, and water in a medium pot. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Put the minced onions and olive oil in a small pot. Roll the chicken thighs and place them seam-side down over the bed of minced onions. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until the onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the pomegranate molasses to the walnut sauce. Then, add the brown sugar, one tablespoon at a time, to desired sweetness.
- Remove the chicken thighs to a side plate and scrape off the caramelized onions into the walnut sauce. Stir and then place the pieces of chicken in the sauce. Cover the pot and simmer over a medium-low heat for another hour. If needed, add a tablespoon or two of water, though the sauce should be on the thicker side. (If the sauce is thinner than desired, leave the cover off during the last 15-20 minutes of cooking)
- Season to taste and serve over rice.