Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from The New York Times
- 4lbs Grow and Behold English Short Ribs
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- One blood orange, juiced. Reserve three strips of peel
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs de Provence
- 1 tablespoon tomato pesto
- In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons of the olive oil, the wine, onions, carrots, orange juice, orange peel, garlic and thyme. Add short ribs, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry. Strain the marinade into a large measuring cup, reserving the vegetables.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a 4-quart casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the meat, a few pieces at a time, and lightly brown. Remove and place in a bowl.
- Add the reserved onions and garlic to the dish, lower heat and cook until starting to brown. Add the herbs de Provence. Return meat to casserole with reserved thyme, carrots and orange peel. Pour in 1 1/4 cups of the marinade. Bring to a simmer, season with salt and pepper, lower heat, cover and cook 3 hours, adding more marinade if needed.
- Skim excess fat from surface, season to taste, stir in the tomato pesto and serve from the casserole.