Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from Serious Eats
- 4lbs Grow and Behold Lamb Short Ribs
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili pepper (adjust according to desired spice level)
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp of oil for sautéing, or some trimmed off pieces of lamb fat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the spices together and set aside
- Heat a skillet over a medium heat and add the oil/lamb fat to the pan. Sauté the onions until they are softened but not browned–around 5 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- Next, cover the bottom of your pan with the sautéed onions and the apricots. Nestle the rack of ribs into the onions and apricots. Pour in enough water so that the ribs are 1/3 of the way submerged–around 2 cups. Cover the pan with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 275°F. Braise the ribs in the oven until very tender–around 3 hours. Then, uncover the pan and turn the heat up to 375°F. Continue braising until the fat on the surface is browned and the onions are very brown–around 30 minutes longer. Pour off the rendered lamb fat in the pan, setting aside for another use, then serve hot or warm.