Recipe adapted for kosher, pastured cooking from Food and Wine. Serves 4-6
- 1 Grow and Behold Chicken, cut into 1/8ths
- 1 cup Grow and Behold Chicken Bone Broth
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine
- One 28oz can of whole tomatoes, chopped, with their juices
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until it is shimmering. Add half of the chicken to the skillet, and cook over a moderately high heat until browned–around 3 minutes per side. Transfer the browned chicken to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Pour off the fat in the skillet.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet, then the cumin seeds and cook over moderately high heat for about 10 seconds, until fragrant. Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally until softened–around 5 minutes.
- Then, add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, crushed red pepper and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden–around 3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer over moderately low heat for 5 minutes. Add the stock and the tomatoes with their juices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce along with any accumulated juices and simmer over low heat, turning a few times, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is flavorful–around 50 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaves, season with salt and pepper and serve.