Slow Cooker Moroccan Style Heritage Chicken
Serves: 1 person per ¾ lb of bone in chicken
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
- 1 kosher heritage chicken, whole or cut up
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 head fennel, thinly sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 pint oil-cured black olives, pitted
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp freshly ground coriander
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp schmaltz, olive, or vegetable oil
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
Slice fennel, orange, lemon and garlic. Add to slowcooker with olives and 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix spices in bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
If cutting up your bird, quarter chicken. Rinse and pat the heritage chicken dry. Rub 2⁄3 of spice/oil mix all over and inside the chicken, and add the leftover mix to the vegetables in the slow cooker. Then place chicken on top of seasoned vegetables.
Pour the broth into the slow cooker. Cover with lid, and set on low heat for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is very tender. Remove chicken from the slow cooker. If cooking a whole bird, carve before serving.
Serve with couscous or braising vegetables, a light green salad, and pair with your favorite nut brown ale.