Reproduced from Perfect for Pesach by Naomi Nachman with permission from the copyright holders ArtScroll/Mesorah Publications, LTD. Picture by Miriam Pascal.
You can’t have a Pesach cookbook without a great brisket recipe! This amazing brisket is so good, you’ll even love the leftovers — the longer the brisket sits in the cooking liquid, the more flavorful it gets.
- 3 onions, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4lbs brisket (First Cut Brisket, Second Cut Brisket or Whole Brisket)
- ½ cup apricot jam
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place onion slices into a large roasting pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, basil, paprika, salt and olive oil to make a paste. Rub mixture all over brisket.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Sear brisket on both sides, approximately 4 minutes on each side. Place brisket over onions in roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine jam, wine, and lemon juice. Pour over brisket and onions. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F. Roast brisket, covered, for 3 hours.
- Cool; slice against the grain and serve.